Let’s be honest, most of us will be planning some sort of take-home VBS or Sunday School program this summer. That said, maybe you’re struggling to know what to do. Well, we’ve been wondering what to do in our communities as well. We didn’t want to just provide a box of junk kids would look at once and then never touch again, and we wanted to encourage kids to be active this summer.
So we asked parents and caregivers what sort of items they’d like to see in summer activity boxes, specifically things that would encourage kids to get outside and get moving. What would encourage their kids to create and explore? Here’s what we heard.
Got something to add? Leave us a comment!
- Skipping rope
- Sidewalk chalk
- Seeds (quick to germinate, like beans)
- Magnifying Glasses
- Shovel and Bucket
- Outdoor Scavenger Hunt (Check-out these ones: Nature Bingo (Summer), Spring Nature Scavenger Hunt French/English)
- Ball (bouncy, tennis kickball…)
Other Great Suggestions
- Flower press supplies
- Leaf rubbing Supplies (crayons and paper)
- Animal or bird identification sheets
- Water gun
- Small tent
- Play sand/sandbox
- Trucks and construction type toys
- Whistles and other noisy things
- Streamers/ribbons for playing in the wind
- Cardboard boxes to play in and decorate
- DIY musical instruments (using tissue boxes, cannisters, rubberbands, beans, sticks, tin foil…)
- Paint for rock painting
- Coupons for cold treats